Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Day 3... Just Being

Day 3...

I got in the ocean yesterday, which is saying something, because the flags on the beach were red, meaning that it's a little dangerous, one is to suppose. The waves were breaking at about three or four feet, after several days of very high winds here in the area.

I've been in the ocean before, lots of times, but as I get older, I understand what Jerry Seinfeld meant when he said that really, mankind spends a lot of time trying to get into the ocean, and that the ocean is just always trying to throw us out. Seeing as I seemed to be the only guy in eyesight who was willing to venture out as far as I did, I figured that maybe I ought to heed that warning. So Ginger and I sat down on the beach right at the edge of the surf until our suits filled up with sand.

I realized as I sat down and started to write down my thoughts that I didn't have any real insightful message to pass on. No deep, emotional thoughts, or meaningful knowledge good for the universe. As such, I think I instead felt the importance of what it feels like to just be. Lots of Neil Diamond songs come to mind, like "I Am, I Said" and "Be."

To just be, to exist, to be a part of the carriage ride that is our everyday life. I'm no more important here in South Florida than I am in Central Indiana, but somehow, it just feels that way. Something about the power of the ocean, the salt in the air and the wind in my face makes me feel that my existence is more potent in some way. That by being, I really do matter.

Of course, maybe I'm just enjoying myself so much that I've gone nuts. Maybe I'll look back on this post someday and think, "What in the freak was I talking about?"

On the other hand, we did go to a mexican restaurant that did NOT serve queso, AND wasn't spicy. It was very good, but they didn't have melted cheese, and I didn't have to set my face on fire to enjoy the food. Have you ever been to a mexican restaurant that didn't offer queso with their chips? Or a genuine mexican place that didn't set every dish ablaze before serving? That's gotta mean something deep, right?

Oh yeah, and I remembered that the sight of my wife in a bathing suit still turns me on.

No comments:

Post a Comment