Monday, October 15, 2012

Day 2... Vegging Out

Day 2

I woke up this morning and took a walk on the beach. It was, of course, beautiful. Even though there were clouds this morning that blocked the view of the actual sunrise, I still think I got some nice pictures of the sun streaking through, finally breaking free about a half hour later.

Yesterday, we vegged. As Julia Roberts says in Pretty Woman: "Be still like vegetables. Lay like broccoli." That's pretty much what we did all day. We never left the condo. Ate inside all day and watched TV. Which means we must be the only nerds in the world who left the cold weather in Indiana to come to Florida and stay inside all day.

In our defense, it was pretty windy outside, and even though the temps are in the 80's, there was a riptide warning on the beach, and the waves were crashing pretty high, so it was probably in our best interest to not test it, being lifelong landlubbers and all. Plus, the wind can really jack with Ginger's head and cause all kinds of ear aches and so forth. So she doesn't like to be out in the wind much.

But there's something to be said for just relaxing. Usually, on vacation, I'm the one who wants to be on the go, all the time, much to the chagrin of my wife. I like to do all the things on vacation that I can't do at home. Ginger likes to lay on the beach. She's resolved herself all these years to just follow me around on vacation, God bless her, and she often remarks how she comes home more worn out than before we left.

But for some reason, I've really been looking forward to just relaxing on this one. Just taking some time to rest and soak it all in. I suppose we all need to do that sometimes. Just "lay like broccoli," as it were, and rest while the rest of the world floats by. I think I need that right now.

So I walked on the beach this morning, while everybody else slept (except for Cody, who decided to go for a jog even before I got up, and promptly got lost trying to make it back to the condo.) I walked, and I prayed, and I watched a guy fish, and another guy throw the frisbee to himself. He really did! He would throw it up into the wind, and then chase it down as it blew back his way. I watched little birds (I really don't know what kind they are) pick at the sand when the water would recede, and then run away as the tide chased them back.

After a few, I sat down on a beach chair and just watched the sun break through the clouds. I called my Mom and told her I loved her.

And as I sat there, I wondered to myself: Do the people who live here all the time ever get used to this?

No comments:

Post a Comment