Tuesday, November 10, 2020

Life to the Fullest!

I was gonna write a new political post today. I still will, but probably not today.

Instead, I have more important things on my mind this morning. In the past several days, there has been two significant events take place in my close family, and, as these things usually do, they put things back into perspective a bit.

Every now and then, we have to get bopped on the head and reminded that some things in life are vitally important. And other things -- eh, not so much.

First, my wife and I welcome the arrival of our first Grand Baby. Miss Victoria Uhls. She is tiny, and beautiful, and even though we are nearly 600 miles away, we are already in love. Congratulations to my son, Cody, and his beautiful wife, Alana, and their first child. We are so proud of them.

I haven't gotten to hold little Vic in my arms yet, but I remember holding my children for the first time. And breaking down in tears at the realization of how much love I actually had to give. I suspect the same thing will happen with Vic. And the next... And the next...

Interestingly, Miss Victoria has two middle names: Kenlyn... which is a hybrid of the names of two of Mommy's best friends. And Bryce, to honor our dear friend and brother, Bryce Mansfield, who we lost way too soon some years back, and to whom Daddy was super close. Kinda cool, yeah?

Sometime soon, I will get to hold Baby Vic myself. But what I'm looking forward to even more is watching GiGi get to hold her for the first time. Ginger's eyes sparkle in a way like no other when she holds babies. She loves them -- has a special connection, like, the Baby Whisperer or something. Watching her hold our boys was something magical. I can't wait to see how they shine when she holds her first grandchild.

And in that moment, I will be reminded of all that is good about our world. Love and compassion and joy and adoration. In that moment I will not be thinking about politics, or any of the other ugliness that is so readily available to our eyes and ears and minds every day. I will be totally wrapped up in Baby Vic and all the love that will be surrounding her in that moment.

I'm looking forward to it.

Also this week, a tragic accident befell some dear, close family members of mine. As of now, while they have some healing to do, it looks as though everything will be OK in the end. "OK in the end," is relative, of course, as we all have more pain and hurt and tragedy lined up for us some time in the future. It's unavoidable. Not "if" but "when." The question is how we deal with that tragedy when it comes.

This accident could have been far worse. And we are all thankful it was not. My heart is breaking and I have shed tears trying to imagine -- and yet utterly failing to do so -- what their pain and hurt must feel like. This event would break weaker people. It won't break them. They are strong, loving, caring, God-fearing people. They will survive.

But it serves as a reminder of how delicate life hangs in the balance. Things can change in an instant. And we have very little control over it. More often than not, it's through no fault of our own. And yet, we are left with the idea that we can only control what WE do, and how WE live.

Ginger and I moved to the ocean almost four years ago now because we wanted to enjoy life in the moment. We have learned that life is not promised tomorrow, and so we want to live today and enjoy it while we can. We realized that we'd been talking about moving to the ocean for nearly 25 years, and if we weren't careful, we'd be sitting around another 10 or 20 years still talking about the same thing -- if we lived that long.

You see, the Bible tells us that Satan prowls around in the night like a lion seeking whom he can devour. Scripture says that it is Satan who comes to steal and kill and destroy. But, Praise God!... The Bible says Jesus came to overcome the world, and to give life fuller, more abundantly!

I want some of that! Life more abundantly!

Satan tried to kill my family member the other night, and God swooped in and saved them. For what reason? I don't know, and frankly, I don't care. God's decision is good enough for me. God's will was that they had more time, and a story to tell. Someday soon, my family will have a rocking testimony about God's saving grace. They'll be able to tell the world about how thousands of people within hours rallied to pray for them, and that God heard those prayers.

But you know what? Sometimes God doesn't swoop in, and often we don't know why. Sometimes, Satan's attack proves fatal. That's what happens in war. Sometimes, the good guys die. And so what do we do then?

First, we realize God saves. He saves no matter our sins and weaknesses, and usually saves in spite of them. And that salvation comes with a forgiveness that is true and thorough and eternal. No strings, no conditions. "I forgive you." Done, and over with. And we don't have to perform like circus monkeys to get it.

Second, we understand God's will is often beyond our understanding. Often, we can do little else but rest in the assurance that God is sovereign, and that His plan is bigger and better and stronger than our own. And we rest in that assurance that all things work out for the good of those who love him, even if we don't understand what's going on at the time.

And in that assurance we owe it to our Creator and to ourselves to live life to the fullest. Each and every day. Tell our friends and family how much we love them before the chance passes us by. Walk that beach or climb that mountain or enjoy that sunset and sunrise hand-in-hand. And mostly, to share the Good News of God's saving forgiveness.

Satan attacks us all in different ways every day. Even when you live by the ocean! But we choose to accept life more abundantly. And every blessing, and every accident, teaches us more about what that really means. Today, I'm thankful. For both the blessing of a new grandchild, and the accident that will bring me and my family closer to each other, and closer to God.

And I will be thankful again tomorrow, regardless of whether a blessing or a tragedy comes my way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment